Thursday, September 9, 2010

Oklahoma

I've been missing home a little bit lately. Sometimes when I tell people I'm from Oklahoma I get less than nice reactions. They usually say something like, "Wow, I bet your glad to be out of there," or "Well anything is a step up from that."

It takes a lot for me to smile and laugh instead of telling them how I really feel. Oklahoma is wonderful. I loved growing up there and am proud of who I became because of it.


I love this quote...
 "I've spent most of my life living in cities where people are obsessed with looking down on people from everywhere else. You get so used to doing it that you start to believe it's simply what everyone does. It makes for an atmosphere of unwelcome that penetrates much of our modern life. It's a shame really because a couple days in Oklahoma will open your eyes to how much better it would be if the rest of the country was filled with a few more people from Oklahoma." - Adam Duritz (Counting Crows)


                                  

I can't wait to go back and visit. There is so much I miss like...
  • People waving when you pass them in your car. You never pass a truck without getting a wave or a nod.
  • Chicken fried steak. Mmmm.
  • Quik Trip! Holy cow, I love that place.
  • Bedlam.
  • McAlister's sweet tea. Sweet tea in general, really.
  • I know you already know this, but Taco Bueno. I'm sorry, I won't bring it up again.
  • Singing Oklahoma at O-State games.
  • Being around other people who say "fixin to" and "ya'll".
  • Cowboys.
  • The fair.
  • Tornado sirens. I know, that's a weird one.
  • People understanding when I put ranch dressing on everything.
  • Route 66.
  • Seeing Garth Brooks at church.
I could go on and on. So, today and everyday I am proud to be an Oklahoma girl.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nikki,
I just want to say really quick that Wow! Seeing you all grown up just seems so weird and that you are just absolutely gorgeous! Although I didn't expect you to be anything less than stunningly beautiful :o)
Second, OMGosh, I so know how you feel! I thought all of those EXACT same things when we lived in Utah. We were there for about six years and just moved back to Oklahoma. Colorado sure is beautiful but really, there is no place like home!

<3
Christina Humphreys (Christina Priest)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Have a lovely day.