Monday, September 27, 2010

Graduate School

I am in grad school right now. I also work full time right now. And I'm the wife to one husband and the mom to two pups right now. It is a bit of a stressful time.

Graduate school is hard. Undergrad seemed very black and white to me. But this is all about the gray areas. They want you to think about intangible things and form your own opinions. Sounds easy enough, right? Well, everyone is from difference backgrounds and are at different stages in their lives. It's not a bunch of 18 year olds ready to make friends and get through school. It's definitely a different dynamic than I've experienced before, and it can be a little intimidating.

Going back to school while working isn't the easiest thing to do. It requires discipline and focus and patience.

Discipline because all I want to do after working all day and going to class is sit down and watch TV. And maybe drink a glass of wine. Specifically, I want to watch the new season of Glee, which I have yet to see. My DVR is maxed out and I'm at a loss as to what shows to cut. But someone's getting the axe.

Discipline to make myself read over 100 pages a week of books I'd rather toss aside for something more my style.

Focus. I need to focus on what's important right now. This time will pass, but for now I need to get down to business. But the trick is I need to focus on school, work and my family. This is kind of difficult to do. Something or someone always seems to get the short end of the stick. I'm working on doing a better job at this - trying to get in a routine, focusing on time management...you know the drill.

Patience. Oh, this is a big one. Not only do I need to have patience in getting through this extraordinarily busy time, but I also need my sweet husband and even my dogs to do the same. I just can't avoid school work because I'd rather go to the dog park or watch football with my love. Patience is going to be a pretty big theme in my life over the next two years, I think.

But, I'm ready for all this. I feel like now is the perfect time, and although it's not always easy I know I can make it through. And it's because of the support from my very favorite people -- and animals -- that I'll be able to do it.

So, wish me luck as I try to do it all! Only for a little while though.

And, I'm going to try and remember this...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Have a lovely day.