Monday, November 8, 2010

Greatest Desire

We heard an amazing message at church on Sunday. I’m often touched and inspired by sermons but after going to church for so long I rarely leave a service feeling like I really learned something I never knew before. That’s the way Sunday felt to me.

If you have time, you may want to watch it. It is here if you’re interested.

We had a guest pastor, Robert Morris, who discussed God’s Greatest Desire. Before he got into God’s Greatest Desire, he wanted to touch on Satan’s Greatest Desire. In a series of awesome illustrations he explained that Satan wants us to worship anything other than God. i.e. houses, cars, clothes, people.

I won’t go into too many details but encourage you to watch the sermon for yourself.

I just want to highlight the overall point – God’s greatest desire is us. He didn’t create us because he needed to but because he wanted to.

The pastor used a powerful illustration to demonstrate the love Jesus had for us.

When Satan tempted Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, imagine if only Eve would’ve eaten the fruit. God would’ve come to Adam and said, “Adam, I have some terrible news to share with you. Eve has sinned and now she must die.” Adam would plead with the Lord to spare her because he loved her so much. And maybe God would offer to give Adam another woman to take Eve’s place, but Adam wouldn’t want anyone else, just Eve because that’s who he loved. Now, imagine Jesus in Heaven and God telling him, “Son, I have some terrible news. Mankind has sinned and now they must die.” And Jesus said, “No Father, I don’t want them to die because I love them so much.” And the Lord said, “Well, somebody has to die.” So, Jesus took the sins of the world upon him and died specifically for you and me so that we may have eternal life.

We all know the story, but somehow it felt more real to me that day. And the magnitude of why we were created and by whom has never felt more significant.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Have a lovely day.